Saturday, January 26, 2008

Here We Go


Ok, so now that I've decided to make this a reality it's time to start figuring out how to make this happen. Over the last year or so I've collect several books on photography, and I've really enjoyed learning this way. It's also a lot cheaper than actually taking class. It turns out that art schools are not very cheap. So I'll continue to use books to help guide me through the process.

The plan is to read 3 books a month in 3 specific areas. I'd like to find one book dealing with just photography (mostly portraiture), one that deals with business/marketing, and lastly a creative inspiration book. I have several books that I've picked out on Amazon.com that will keep me busy. If you are thinking about doing something similar, check your local library. I was able to take two of the books I was planning on reading off my list just by wandering through the stacks. If you are interested in starting any business or finding a new career path, I would seriously consider looking into a book called "48 Days To The Work You Love" by Dan Miller. It's given me tons of inspiration and information about how to get started. Since I'm currently in the IT industry, Ill also be using a Project Management book I've had laying around as a reference.

Websites and other blogs have been very helpful in learning how to take photos or just staying organized and motivated. Here are a few:


  • strobist.blogspot.com

  • zenhabits.net

  • flickr.com

  • photo.net

  • dumblittleman.com

Podcasts have been another resource I've just gotten into. There are more than a few out there on the web, but Dan Miller's has been the most fun to listen to. There's another called "Up To the Top Floor" and "Tips From the Top Floor" where a guy talks about starting up a media production company. They tend to be pretty short but interesting to hear how he's gone about things. The great thing about these podcasts is than I can devote 8 hrs a day listening to great ideas while at work or driving home.

Another thing I've done the past week is carry around one of those old school composition books just to jot down ideas or things that I might want to look up when I have a chance. You wouldn't believe how much this has helped. In one week I've filled 5 pages with ideas about marketing the business, new photo techniques, and operational ideas. Today's fun little exercise will be creating a gantt chart to time out all the areas involved.

I still have a lot of research to do (such as whether or not to set up an LLC). I'll hopefully have that done by the end of this month or the beginning of next month. If anyone has questions or words of wisdom, just leave them in the comments. I'd love to hear them.

That's all for now. I'll keep you posted on what's going on...

No comments: